Home Forums APSA MEMBERS FORUM General Race Talk x275 – is a rethink in order?

This topic contains 50 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  pro380 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

vkdave

Now that the year is over are the rules going to be opened up for discussion on x275?

Given the number of x275 cars running OLR it makes me question the viability of the current rules. The following cars, which are in concept x275 cars, are split over two classes:
    – Steve Bezzina
    – Scott Hoffman
    – Mick Silk
    – Khain Mackey
    – Joe Geri
    – Perry Bullivant
    – Matthew Turnbull
    – Brett Benz
    – George Haddad
    – Milan Opacic
    etc

Of the cars racing in OLR, they are nearly a second off the pace, and would take a significant injection of $$$ to step up. Reality is any of these cars would be sold off if you wanted to be competitive in OLR, and replaced with something that was built to run 7.0s. All of the guys running high 7s and 8s in OLR are doing it so they have somewhere to race, not to be competitive. I think the 8.5 cut-off has ruined the class, but thing all is not lost when you see the number of 275 radial cars getting around.

Does it make more sense to go back to the original intention for the class? Surely a set of rules that allows non-back halfed / 4-link cars to race together on radials would be more sensible. In reality something would need to be done to make the nitrous and single turbo guys competitive (88mm singles?). I also think a large cube NA option would be cool to add also.

Need to make sure that 4cyl and 6 cyl rules allow them to be competitive but stop someone jamming 250hp of gas down the throat of a 2J with a 88mm turbo and running low 7s (or faster).

Not wanting to start shit, just have a discussion about x275 given the really low turnouts. I will only run 9s next year, so I am better off under current rules, but I do think they are killing the class. I would much rather run with the fast guys laying down good times on 275s.

Could even get Dandy Engines to sponsor it, given half the cars are theirs :mrgreen:

vkdave

bln355

There is enough cars around that meet the rules, they just don’t turn up and race. There was a heap of cars running DYO that could have strapped on 275’s and run in X275 also.

DEBENZ
    Participant

Prize Money
    10.5, WIN $3000, $1000 Runner up
    Pro Street Blown $1500, $500
    Pro Street Unblown $1500, $500
    Mod Street Blown $1500, $500
    Mod Street Unblown $1500, $500
    Radial $500, $250
    X275 $500, $250
    True Street $500, $250
    DYO $1000, $500

Maybe changing the prize money to be more inline with the other classes would entice a few to swap back from DYO to X275 and Radial. Drop DYO to $500, $250. And bring the X275 and Radial up to $1500, $500. Just a thought??

vkdave

398 views and 3 replys, wtf

BARNSEY
    Participant

Hey guys
    Look I agree with what you are saying and I also think a x275 class just like the states with the same rules as they run would work fine, if given the chance.
    I have started on my new build and it will run 275s. but at this stage I am a bit over the rule changes so the engine combo will be for outlaw then I don’t have to worry about change half way through a build.
    If something was put in place just like the USA X275 and set in concrete you could defiantly count me in until then I will keep going with the direction I am :)

Khaino

This is a tough one.
    Would love to have a proper purpose 275 class,but reality is theres not enough radial cars at that moment.
    Look what happened to outlaw radial as soon as 275 came along,no cars!!!
    Im not sure whats going to happen,but i dont really care,i luv racing on radials,& doesnt bother me who i
    race,or if i win or lose.Where else can race your mates,have fun & your guanteed 5-6 runs.

BARNSEY
    Participant

Ha Ha ,well Khaino you pretty much summed it up. At least we have a radial class to race and have fun in ,that will do me as well.
    Just need to get the car built so I can get back into some racing 8)

gazzard

Well if all x275 racers would like to sit down and talk i think apsa would like to here what we all have to say
    but only x275 racers or cars @ x275 rules need apply .
    lets get this thing going it can be big . Lets just adopt US rules works for them

Fopar

shame, it’s taken off big time in the US and some regard it as the best class ever. would have thought the same would have happened here.

i don’t think the prizemoney $’s have anything to do with it. i think Khain summed it up best, alot of the guys don’t give a toss about championships points or winning races it’s about just going out there and having some funs. a guaranteed 5-6 passes for $150 u can’t go wrong 😉

vkdave

Is it worth getting together some time soon to discuss? I think the goal needs to be that the class needs to be setup to encourage the widest possible field of cars, from both traditional pro-street and sports compact cars to run together on 275s.

Here are some of the things that need to be discussed:
    – Do we need to
    – What do we do to level up the power adders (e.g. if 62mm twins are in, then what do we do about singles, NA and supercharged combos)
    – What rear end setups are allowed (mini-tubbing, ladder bar, rail notching), a lot of cars that would run this class have trouble even squeezing a 235 under, how do we allow them.
    – What do we need to do to encourage the 4 and 6 cyl guys to race with us r.e. 2 power adders or minimum weights, without causing a killer combo

at this point in time one radial class is enough there arnt enough cars to support 2 radial classes
    radial outlaw should be the radial class most 275 cars can slip into msb and run trailer tyres if you like

farmboy410

Khaino is right what he is saying. A lot lot of people think you have to be number 1 or a tenth within that. it’s about racing with mates not winning . Being competitive is being at a meeting!
    Learn how to have fun not try and create classes

vkdave

@farmboy410 wrote:

Khaino is right what he is saying. A lot lot of people think you have to be number 1 or a tenth within that. it’s about racing with mates not winning . Being competitive is being at a meeting!

yeah, but OLR is a bees dick away from being a 6 sec class (and MSB isn’t far behind), does it make to have 3 classes that are doing almost the same times. Reality is most cars in OSB are closer to x275 cars than not, but are in 275 because of the cutoff. So where do the small tyre / street style guys go? Powercruise shows you just how many of these cars are out there, and the number of cars that turned up to the first x275 run in willowbank shows there is (was) big interest.

@vkdave wrote:

@farmboy410 wrote:

yeah, but OLR is a bees dick away from being a 6 sec class (and MSB isn’t far behind), does it make to have 3 classes that are doing almost the same times. Reality is most cars in OSB are closer to x275 cars than not, but are in 275 because of the cutoff. So where do the small tyre / street style guys go? Powercruise shows you just how many of these cars are out there, and the number of cars that turned up to the first x275 run in willowbank shows there is (was) big interest.

my car is a high 8sec car and ive done all but 1 meeting the last 2yrs in msb am i competative-no but ive still had fun at every event trying to run pb’s you dont have to be at the front of the pack to enjoy racing There will always be someone faster in whatever class you run in If you cant handle not winning theres always dyo where its a level playing field
    the constant push for new classes will never work with the amount of cars we have trying to fill the classes that have stood the test of time should be the main priority
    when we get full fields in all our classes maybe then other classes can be considered till then new classes wont help grow apsa one iota

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.