Home Forums APSA MEMBERS FORUM New Cars and In the Build TSB 100% street driven VL Calais

This topic contains 45 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  FRY747 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #6416

    Anonymous
    Member

    @FRY747 wrote:

    haha. yeah, had a look at the block i got, needs a resleeve on one cylinder so im going cast iron. just hard to find one, no new ones coming into the country til end of year. gunna try to get one sent from a shop in the states or find a short block lq4-lq9 and get it sent here.

    yeah, TSB is gunna get abit kaotic! :)

    You need to bite the bullet and go to a LSX bowtie standard deck block for boost, the 6L iron block’s are junk and will only support 1000-1200 hp. Sonic test one and you will soon change your mind. It will work out cheaper in the long run.
    I have used them for N/A applications and blown and have achieved 980rwhp but this will be the boarder line, unless you solid fill the block it may go another 500HP.
    Anyway killer build, go the LS turbo engines.

    #6417

    vkdave
    Member

    This car is making around 1600 on an 6L block, no grout

    http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67238746

    #6427

    FRY747
    Member

    hmmm. id rather go this cast iron 6L since im holding my power 1000hp target :) and its more of a street car than a race car, my machinist has done quite afew of them with 1200-1300hp at the fly, no dramas.

    seeing good figures from these blocks in the states and alot of blokes swear by them for a budget engine.

    #6450

    SLY LSX
    Member

    Looks like a interesting build, LSX’s are the future….

    Here’s one of our’s just to keep it interesting

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpPsdZtYsR0&hd=1

    Cheers
    SLY

    #6451

    FRY747
    Member

    that thing is nuts. very nice setup.

    no doubt that lsx are the way of the future.

    for my budget and what i want to acheive it isnt really needed as it is still a street car and rather tame on the boost and revs side of things, if i was planning nothing but full time use on the track i would consider that block, no questions asked.

    #6458

    6BOOST
    Member

    A w2a intercooler will be far worse on the street than an a2a, the only place for w2a is the racetrack with ice in it, on the street the water gets heatsoaked, then never comes down, so the best intake air temps you can ever expect after short driving periods is 60-70+ degress C, been there and done that about 5 years ago on my corolla, tried different mediums, my intercooler was way oversize for the power at the time, feel free to prove it for yourself, however from experience you will be less than impressed.

    Some interesting reading for you in regards to the 6L block, this guy has since run 6.9’s.

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/995096-dynoed-1170hp-1180ft-lbs-today.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1069800-1360-hp-stock-head-crank-6-0-lit.html

    6BOOST

    #6461

    FRY747
    Member

    @6BOOST wrote:

    A w2a intercooler will be far worse on the street than an a2a, the only place for w2a is the racetrack with ice in it, on the street the water gets heatsoaked, then never comes down, so the best intake air temps you can ever expect after short driving periods is 60-70+ degress C, been there and done that about 5 years ago on my corolla, tried different mediums, my intercooler was way oversize for the power at the time, feel free to prove it for yourself, however from experience you will be less than impressed.

    Some interesting reading for you in regards to the 6L block, this guy has since run 6.9’s.

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/995096-dynoed-1170hp-1180ft-lbs-today.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1069800-1360-hp-stock-head-crank-6-0-lit.html

    6BOOST

    yeah, i thought that too. but after talking to Chisiled performance and another company, i feel confident i can make it work on the street as good, if not better than a2a. i may eat those words later, i may not lol.

    thanks for those threads, good read indeed. basically what ill be doing with it, hope ARP’s hold it together nicely :)

    #6472

    stoney
    Member

    Why not do something like maatouk? He has a2acooler boxed with a tank for ice. Has gone 7s in both the old and new cars. Change it over to normal a2a for street

    #6474

    Anonymous
    Member

    Some interesting reading for you in regards to the 6L block, this guy has since run 6.9’s.

    He ran 8.0sec in a a light weight car, max power would be showing 1100hp, he now runs an LSX block that has thick decks compared to the stock 6L decks

    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/995096-dynoed-1170hp-1180ft-lbs-today.html
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1069800-1360-hp-stock-head-crank-6-0-lit.html

    6BOOST[/quote]

    #6476

    Fopar
    Member

    i agree with 6Boost. you won’t have a problem running A2A on the track or the street, we run A2A on Joe’s Capri, ran a best of 8.34@164 it’s showing 1050hp @ the engine to run those figures. does around 100-200km a week of street driving, he looked at W2A at one time but worked out A2A being the best street/strip option.

    #6485

    FRY747
    Member

    thanks for the info and advice guys. im still looking into it but as i said, just wanna do something different for a streeter.

    stoney, i think ill look into that setup, might be work a crack if its simple enough :)

    #6487

    stoney
    Member

    There’s probably a reason you can say it’s different. If it was effective everyone would do it.

    #6900

    FRY747
    Member

    not too much progress and changes with the plans due to the pain of tracking down a lq9 and afew other thing…

    stripped down my spare holden 304ci, plans are to refresh, arp bolts, new pistons and then deciding on blow thru or efi. doing research on it at this time, decision wont be made til i have the hot side and afew other bits finallised.

    pics up of progress soon :)

    #6902

    PRO840
    Member

    @FRY747 wrote:

    not too much progress and changes with the plans due to the pain of tracking down a lq9 and afew other thing…

    stripped down my spare holden 304ci, plans are to refresh, arp bolts, new pistons and then deciding on blow thru or efi. doing research on it at this time, decision wont be made til i have the hot side and afew other bits finallised.

    pics up of progress soon :)

    VOTE 1 BLOW THRU

    #6903

    vkdave
    Member

    @PRO840 wrote:

    @FRY747 wrote:
    not too much progress and changes with the plans due to the pain of tracking down a lq9 and afew other thing…

    stripped down my spare holden 304ci, plans are to refresh, arp bolts, new pistons and then deciding on blow thru or efi. doing research on it at this time, decision wont be made til i have the hot side and afew other bits finallised.

    pics up of progress soon :)

    VOTE 1 BLOW THRU

    I kind of regret not going haltech and racepak in my car, given the logging and other shit.

    I reckon basic streeter blow through kicks arse, but a PS2000 haltech would have made more sense for a go fast build, especially with a set of ID2000 injectors :p

    Isn’t your’s injected?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.