This topic contains 41 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  QuickBitz 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author

greenhj

sooo, its the weekend, im bored and i felt like getting attacked so i thought id lob a hand grenade.

Is traction control legal in any or all classes of APSA racing?

Is it “dont ask, dont tell” or is there a ruling one way or the other?

We all know what it is and how it works, no it doesnt make the car faster but i figured in heads up racing its probably important.

DEBENZ
    Participant

Very hard to police. Coulnt we just use ANDRA as a guide and say no to all classes as well?

outlaw10.5

Can’t police very hard you can’t help it if people need training wheels to ride a bike. Might as well run delay boxes in all classes as well same same.

doz08z

That is correct, the committe has discussed this and came to the conclusion that it would be very hard to police….
    The devices are so small these days and the technology is just going to get better…

Personally I think that with the way we are pushing Street Configured cars, it might even be a saftey factor…
    Ie Traction control device might make it a bit safer…

col palmer

point & stab racing here we come 😳

duncs

If we must comply to all ANDRA’s rules, then one of their rules is that no traction control devices are to be used whatsoever. If we allow it and our shootouts are ANDRA sanctioned meetings, racers using it (if found) would be liable to whatever they have in place for that. I can’t remember off the top of my head what that is, but i know it’s a pretty serious thing.

doz08z

I reckon there would be some racers using it in the ANDRA circuit for sure……like I siad very hard to police.
    And Just very hard to find….Not only that, but alot are using the MSD retard control to limit traction issues…Isnt that the same thing and are they legal in ANDRA…Can of worms here guys…

At the end of the day I am impartial, I ‘m justing steering..my personal opinion means nothing and usually am with the majority…
    If you, “our members” wan’t this to go to vote…..Then I can put it to the committee and see what they say….

You do have a point Duncs and we do follow ANDRA rules….So if they are not allowed in ANDRA then maybe we should clarify this together and make judgement, we are not the sanctioning “safety” body ANDRA is, so maybe this will have to be stopped…

Traction devices IN or OUT ???….We need input from more racers so we can get idea of what you want to do…
    Now is the time to do it because it is rule vote time and it affects all of us….I know alot of guys are using it…
    So lets see….

nos598

Pretty hard to police , i don’t agree with the use of traction control .I am sure there are plenty of cars using it though.

64Dodge

Don’t ask don’t tell.

ANDRA don’t allow it, that makes the answer simple. But it’s a rule that is impossible to enforce so having a rule just gives people something else to complain about or use as a protest.

duncs

@doz08z wrote:

Not only that, but alot are using the MSD retard control to limit traction issues…Isnt that the same thing and are they legal in ANDRA…Can of worms here guys…

I think the magic word in the ANDRA book is “reactive traction control devices” (ie a device that senses wheelspin and then drops power accordingly), which is why the MSD retard control boxes are legal. They would be illegal if they were connected to something that sensed wheel speed and told the MSD to pull timing out however.

I agree in saying it would be bullshit hard to police, and yes i’m sure it’s happening already, but what can you guys do, short of having an auto electrician go over every wiring circuit in a car? And if we did allow them, the ANDRA stewards would be onto it pretty quick and any of our racers at a non-APSA meeting would be targeted straight up and searched every time.

Johnny i think clarifying the issue with ANDRA regarding this issue would be a great idea, and perhaps finding out if they have any way of policing it?

pig383

Who cares about traction control it doesn’t make you go any faster slower actually it just makes more consistent.
    Whos going to pulling cars apart at the track or checking peoples data??? No one we don’t have enough time now.
    You can’t stop technology guys nearly every class in the equivelent association as ours overseas let’s them in.
    Jw

pig383

@duncs wrote:

@doz08z wrote:
    Not only that, but alot are using the MSD retard control to limit traction issues…Isnt that the same thing and are they legal in ANDRA…Can of worms here guys…

I think the magic word in the ANDRA book is “reactive traction control devices” (ie a device that senses wheelspin and then drops power accordingly), which is why the MSD retard control boxes are legal. They would be illegal if they were connected to something that sensed wheel speed and told the MSD to pull timing out however.

I agree in saying it would be bullshit hard to police, and yes i’m sure it’s happening already, but what can you guys do, short of having an auto electrician go over every wiring circuit in a car? And if we did allow them, the ANDRA stewards would be onto it pretty quick and any of our racers at a non-APSA meeting would be targeted straight up and searched every time.

Johnny i think clarifying the issue with ANDRA regarding this issue would be a great idea, and perhaps finding out if they have any way of policing it?

We only run under andra safety rules at our races.

GRUBEE

Hit the nail on the head JW.. Im really surprised that people are winging about something else on here. Find out how many people are members and give them all a class each…

greenhj

im not sooking (for a change i suppose) and i dont particularly care one way or another.

Id rather see it finally clarified which is why i asked.

GRUBEE

@greenhj wrote:

im not sooking (for a change i suppose) and i dont particularly care one way or another.

Id rather see it finally clarified which is why i asked.

What class do race in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘CLASS RULE DISCUSSIONS & VOTING, JUNE 2012, CLOSED’ is closed to new topics and replies.