Home Forums APSA MEMBERS FORUM Technical Section Building a new mod street car

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blacktrack 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

blacktrack

So many Question
    All these are concerning a HQ holden for mod street
    I want to build a state of the art full size car, with a safe roll cage/bar work etc that can mix it with capri and torana with weight

Questions

1 So I can build a tube front end that has to bolt in factory location, Now can I also weld this to my bar work etc for safety and strength, so it is not removable anymore???

2 Have to run a factory radiator support (so iam told) have unlimitted modifications allowed for lightening ????

3 Body shell and Panels….. Big grey area here
    So I can cut out the factory dash and replace with a fabricated one,
    *Fit new brake assembly
    *remove factory steering column for a fabricated column
    *Can I modify factory steel guards/doors (eg remove inner where the bonnet hinges bolt up etc) dont like the glass ones ???
    *Cut and remove body sections away for roll cage/bar work and or lightening purpose ???
    *Replace parcel shelf (window to floor pan) in alloy (so iam told) ???
    *Grill…. use flat alloy sheet, but with air bushed grill painted on to maintain a factory look
    *No alloy boot floor allowed, so Iam told ???

Quote from the rules
    1.5 Standard rear suspension points must be used, rear suspension mounts maybe reinforced or fabricated in standard size, shock absorber location can be moved, and leaf springs can be moved inwards
    *Fabricate new cromoly rear suspension points on body, for safety but still i standard location????

LC-4540

Andrew,

This is my interpretation of the rules for your new car. Other delegates should chime in as well.

blacktrack wrote:
    So many Question
    All these are concerning a HQ holden for mod street
    I want to build a state of the art full size car, with a safe roll cage/bar work etc that can mix it with capri and torana with weight

Questions

1 So I can build a tube front end that has to bolt in factory location, Now can I also weld this to my bar work etc for safety and strength, so it is not removable anymore??? Yes you can build a bolt in replacement front end. Yes you can weld roll cage bars to it but not anything to do with front suspension.

2 Have to run a factory radiator support (so iam told) have unlimitted modifications allowed for lightening ????Yes you must run the factory radiator suport, yes you can lighten it but it must stay bolt in and run the factory style mounts and lights

3 Body shell and Panels….. Big grey area here
    So I can cut out the factory dash and replace with a fabricated one,Yes you can cut out the factory dash but you must run some sort of dash alloy folded sheet carbon etc
    *Fit new brake assembly Yes pedal box or fabricated pedals ok
    *remove factory steering column for a fabricated columnYes fabricated steering colomn ok
    *Can I modify factory steel guards/doors (eg remove inner where the bonnet hinges bolt up etc) dont like the glass ones ???Yes you can lighten the steel guards
    *Cut and remove body sections away for roll cage/bar work and or lightening purpose ???If you have to cut away body or floor sections to install a SFI style roll cage you must weld steel back in around it
    *Replace parcel shelf (window to floor pan) in alloy (so iam told) ???You can re sheet the parcel shelf and rear firewall in alloy or steel sheet
    *Grill…. use flat alloy sheet, but with air bushed grill painted on to maintain a factory lookAPSA allways wants the cars to remain stock appearing, so factoy grill to be used
    *No alloy boot floor allowed, so Iam told ???steel boot floor welded in, can be fabricated

Quote from the rules
    1.5 Standard rear suspension points must be used, rear suspension mounts maybe reinforced or fabricated in standard size, shock absorber location can be moved, and leaf springs can be moved inwards
    *Fabricate new cromoly rear suspension points on body, for safety but still i standard location???You can reinforce the factory mounts, if you fabricated a new mount it must be factory location and style

doz08z

That’s why we have Mark Hayes on the committee and as one of most technical and experienced delegates APSA has to offer….thanks Mark…

Andrew there are lot of Grey Area’s that can and may arise with building a new car to the rules for any class
    Our guys do the best to lead racers building cars the best they can…
    If someone building a car does not like the answer due to clarity of the rules then it go’s to the committee for a vote ..
    the final descision of the committe vote combined will be the answer…

But in general we look to guys like Mark for answering questions and he does an excellent job….

Thankyou for asking during your build, we recommend this be practice for anyone not sure when building to suit a particular class, so we done get headaches when its all done…
    Sounds like it will be a tuff car…

blacktrack

Cheers Mark & Johnny
    Thanks for all your help on the phone
    I recommend to anyone building a new car, to go through this process
    Cant wait to see how close to minimum weight, I can get this car 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.