Home Forums APSA MEMBERS FORUM New Cars and In the Build BLN355 setting up for TSB

This topic contains 38 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Fopar 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

bln355

I’ve now been a registered member on here for a few months and thought it was time a put up a bit of info on my car and some of the plans i have for it in short term, along with a few questions i have also.

I have a Holden VK Calais, its had a few different Holden V8 engine combos all with EFI and the Factory Walkinshaw Twin Throttle Body Intake. It is currently a Single Turbo 355ci Holden Stroker with some of the following specs.
    – Walkinshaw Block with Full Stud Kit, 4 bolt mains, o ringed deck.
    – Crankshaft Rebuilders 3.48in Stroke Crank
    – Modified TRW Blower pistons that are also HPC Coated
    – 9:1 Comp
    – Dash 9 Yella Terra Heads with 2.08 and 1.625 REV Valves, ISKY Tool Room Gold Springs and flow 650hp. Ported by Nathan Higgins.
    – Crane Solid Roller Cam 236/244 at 50 with COMP Cams lifters etc
    – Yella Terra Platinum Shaft Mount Rockers
    – Powerglide Trans built by RaceTranz in Geelong with Transbrake etc
    – TCE 9-1/2in 4000rpm Converter
    – 9inch Difff with Moser Aluminium Case, 31 Spline Full Spool and Moser Axles, 3.25 Gears.
    – Motec M800 ECU with Motec CDI, Crane Coil, 96lb Injectors and full V8 Supercar spec wiring loom.
    – Data logging with M800 of all engine sensors plus Tranny Temp, Air Temp pre Cooler, MAP pre Cooler, Exh Back Pressure, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Temp, EGT, Transbrake Status etc.
    – Factory VR/S Commodore Cast exh manifolds (Holding it back a bit)
    – Up until a few weeks ago was fitted T51R (76mm) Garrett with 1.22 T4 Rear
    – Now fitted with a Billet Garrett GTX4202R with 1.28 T4 Rear
    – 4in Dump pipe to gearbox and 3.5″ S/S Exhuast with Magnaflow S/S Race Mufflers
    – 48mm Turbosmart Wastegate
    – Twin Bosch 044 Pumps and Edelbock Reg
    – All braided fuel lines, boost lines, tranny lines etc
    – Runs on Pump fuel for street and Sunoco MaxNos at Track
    – Makes around 500rwhp on pump fuel and 11psi, makes over 650rwhp on race fuel and 17psi (back when it had a plumbed back wastegate, smaller dump pipe and smaller intercooler)

Has run a PB of 9.06 at 149mph with a 1.36 60ft. Has gone as fast as 151mph on a couple of passes. It runs a 28*9 MT Slick on the rear on 8in wide interceptor rims, std suspension apart from coil overs up front and a fabricated anti roll bar on the rear. The car weighs in at approx 3200-3250lbs with driver. Plan on re scaling now a few mods have been done that effect the weight.

The only jobs i have farmed out have been the Trans Build, ECU Tuning, Diff Housing Mods and Engine Machine Work, i fabbed all pipework myself, wiring, anti roll bar, chrome moly cage etc etc

bln355

bln355

Now the new turbo is fitted along with tubes in the 28*9’s i hope to get it to the track in the next couple of weeks to see how the new turbo goes. After that i’m going to give the engine a quick once over and change the camshaft to something a with a newer more aggressive lobe and more suited to my combo. I am hoping to try find an extra 100hp with the combination of new turbo, cam change and some more tuning/boost. I hope the 100hp will get me into the 8.80’s.

Then i am going to change a few things on the car and attempt to run it in True Street Blown. After heading to Sydney last weekend to watch the action i have decided to get my Andra Licence and the car Tech’d so i can join in on what looks to be some good racing.

I have some s/h 275/60 Drag Radials (Thanks Heaps to Khaino) that i am using to sort out fitment/clearance issues on the rear and ensure i get the wheel offset spot on as they are pretty tight under the rear.

I am going to remove the fabricated anti roll bar on the rear and go back to a std style swaybar but just in a bit larger diameter than factory, is this acceptable ?

Is there any issue with running adjustable upper control arms, boxed lower arms (had the lip trimmed off for tyre clearance) and Coil Overs up front ?

I also believe to be able to run 8’s i will have to fit a protection tube 300mm long over the front of the tailshaft?

One of the other issue i am having is what to do for a Lower Engine Containment Nappy, the Sump to Crossmember and sump to exhaust cross over is pretty tight, not sure how i will go here, does anyone have any ideas?

I run a Kirkey Drivers seat and no passenger seat normally at the strip, is a pair of Kirkeys up front okay for TSB ?

vkdave

My prediction is that this will be TSB #1 :)

Someone should confirm, but boxed lower trailing arm and adjustable uppers are okay. I hope so, as that is the setup I am running. I think that a thicker sway bar won’t be an issue, as long as it mounts in mounts in the standard locations.

greenhj

Good to see some holden powered holdens too, there sure aint enough of them in APSA ranks anymore. 😀

vkdave

lol, there is 6 or 7 close to TSB legal holden powered VKs running around, a few with 9sec slips, but this car is the fastest of the bunch. If can even go close to running with this thing I will be happy.

6BOOST

Car looks killer mate, should be a weapon! As far as the front seats go, it shouldn’t really matter what they are as any fixed back seat unless an ADR approved one is illegal (of which I think only a few Saas ones from the 80’s were), but still needed for Andra rules. Might be worth running them with the padded covers though to maintain a street appearance? Look forward to seeing it at the track 😀

bln355

Engine is out at the moment for a cam change to try and find a few more horsepower. It I found a damaged head gasket which wasn’t a major issue. But on further investigation I have found two cracks in the top of the bore to the stud holes and another what appears to be a large crack in the bore of cylinder 6. So now looking at options on what to do.

Fopar

great build, interested to see how it performs with the new GTX turbo.

bln355

@Fopar wrote:

great build, interested to see how it performs with the new GTX turbo.

Thanks heaps, I was hoping to be ready to go try it now but the block damage has put a hold on that.

FRY747

also keen to see what the gtx series ones can do, have heard alot of mixed reviews on them and garrett now apparently havent no interest in aftermarket repairing of these snails too.

what damage is done to the block?

6BOOST

I have back to back tested the GTX turbo’s, mainly the GT42 series and you will not be disappointed, picked up over 300rwhp over a maxed out T51 and even they are 76mm. Brilliant turbo’s. Not sure where the rebuilding rumor came about, give it 6-12 months till the demand starts to die off and they have enough time to build parts and you will be able to get wheels, keep in mind in the grand scheme of things the aftermarket industry is nothing to them, and demand has been massive, so much so it seems to be the only thing I’ve been selling, but from my personal experience they are worth the hype;-)

GL with the rebuild!

6BOOST

bln355

@6BOOST wrote:

I have back to back tested the GTX turbo’s, mainly the GT42 series and you will not be disappointed, picked up over 300rwhp over a maxed out T51 and even they are 76mm. Brilliant turbo’s. Not sure where the rebuilding rumor came about, give it 6-12 months till the demand starts to die off and they have enough time to build parts and you will be able to get wheels, keep in mind in the grand scheme of things the aftermarket industry is nothing to them, and demand has been massive, so much so it seems to be the only thing I’ve been selling, but from my personal experience they are worth the hype;-)

GL with the rebuild!

6BOOST

What do you think caused the big increase in power over the T51R, better turbine or better compressor side or a carbonation of both? I’m hoping it will reduce my back pressure a fair amount.

6BOOST

@bln355 wrote:

What do you think caused the big increase in power over the T51R, better turbine or better compressor side or a carbonation of both? I’m hoping it will reduce my back pressure a fair amount.

Combination of both, however compressor primarily in that application. I would think a GT45 turbine wheel with the GTX42 comp wheel would be a better situation for your car being 5.7L, you need bigger turbine flow on single turbo V8’s, especially something as in-efficient as the holden 5L.

6BOOST

FRY747

@6BOOST wrote:

GL with the rebuild!

6BOOST

good to hear about this, they seem to be the go. comp wheels look wild with the extra blades on the wheel.

i heard this from turboshops which are both garrett turbo suppliers, end of the day its the buyer that decides. just the fact that for anything under gt35, is hard to get wheels or shafts for apparently as garrett are no longer producing parts for them. any truth to this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.