Home Forums APSA MEMBERS FORUM New Cars and In the Build 3 new turbo cars for APSA

This topic contains 28 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Fopar 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Fopar

it’s comin’ it’s comin, after the great news from the meeting on Saturday i have got motivated again. work is starting to commence on what will be the slowest car in Outlaw 10.5 😉 will be getting the electrician in in the next few weeks and getting it ready for testing before the end of the year in preparation for the first meeting in Willowbank in March. my 18 month project has almost reached 30 months 😳 gotta work on my own body as well, thinking i might have to weigh 2900lbs i wasn’t too motivated to lose weight (good bloody excuse isn’t it :P) now when ever lb will count gotta start working up a sweat.

on another good note, another of the Geri’s will be jumping onto the 10.5 bandwagon. the little 2JZ turbo KE70 wagon will be getting an upgrade in the new year, new converter, bigger turbo and more boost coming.

sittin pretty on those 10.5’s

Fopar

well guys n gals, i have some great news. showing just how big a draw APSA Outlaw 10.5 will be.

DRAGONS LAIR MOTORSPORTS and PRECISION TURBO’s WILL BE JOINING THE BROTHERHOOD AND BECOMING THE TURBO SPONSOR FOR OUR OUTLAW 10.5 CAR

we are very proud and excited to have DLM jump on board with their fantastic support. after a couple conversations with the owner (Spiro) i have found him to be a very switched on individual with a huge passion for drag raging.

we are honoured to have such a person come in and give us little guys a shot. it’s easy for someone to go and jump behind a big team with a big budget, we are happy DLM saw something in us to give it a shot.

Spiro loves his Ford’s, he might get a bit of stick for backing a Dodge, but, it’s the heart that counts and that is all Ford.

after seeing Pistol Pete’s Camaro and the amazing Nova of Frank Mamone’s on the weekend, i’m sure you can see why we needed to step up our game, with the DLM-spec Precision Turbo’s.

obviously, we have a long way to go, but, i think our little 281ci DOHC V8 will turn a few heads against cars with 2 even 3 times the cubic capacity. it’s a pushrod world, but this little DOHC V8 is coming to play 😉

i don’t have too much information about the turbo’s except they will be a custom built Precision billet CEA wheel turbo specced specifically for my engine and capable of pumping out 1200hp each, so up to 2400hp if we so wish to push it that far, however, i think for the time being we might cap it at about 1800-2000hp. we don’t want to go too fast 😆

those not familiar jump on their website and have a look http://www.dragonslairmotorsports.com/ you giggle gas boys might decide to make a change also 😛

Fopar

well boys and girls, the FOPAR build is finally coming to an end, we are in the home stretch now. the new Precision Turbo’s courtesy of Dragon’s Lair Motorsports have arrived and boy they look good. almost too good for this car 😆 i threw a turbo on just to make sure it all fitted good and happily report it did. the car needs to go back into GrooveRyder’s for a little more fabwork, then we can finish off the rest. if all goes to plan she will be starting up at the end of the month. hopefully get a day or 2 of testing before the meet in May.

it has been a long 3 years, saving and skrimping away (bloody GFC), compared to the other cars in Outlaw 10.5, this is a poverty pack edition, by the time it is finished will come in costing around $130k 😳 i know some of the MSB guys have spent more. but, we have done alot of the work ourselves and friends have helped along the way. i think choosing an engine which you can pick up from any wreckers in the US for about $250 and used it played a big part, only aftermarket parts are rods, pistons and cams, everything else comes direct from the Ford factory. the car was built to go out and have some fun with, it’s not going to be the quickest, however with only a 100” wheelbase it will definitely be one the most fun 😈

i think it will be good to see something different in Outlaw 10.5, as far as i know there are no other DOHC V8’s racing. will be good to show the pushrod guys what a little 4.6L V8 with 4 cams can do 😉

the new turbo’s are Precision PT7675’s, they are rated at about 1200hp
    • Air-cooled, dual ceramic ball-bearing center housing rotating assembly (CHRA)
    • 76mm billet CNC compressor wheel
    • 75mm CEA turbine wheel

GRUBEE

COMING TOGETHER NICE MATE. HOW FAR OFF UNTIL YOU HIT THE TRACK??

Fopar

@GRUBEE wrote:

COMING TOGETHER NICE MATE. HOW FAR OFF UNTIL YOU HIT THE TRACK??

thanks, i’d like to be out testing at the end of this month, early May.

saw yours is getting closer also, any ETA on when it will be out?

GRUBEE

I was hoping for may, but its looking more like june/july.. Hopefully test in late july and be ready for september shootout.. Better late then never

Fopar

@GRUBEE wrote:

I was hoping for may, but its looking more like june/july.. Hopefully test in late july and be ready for september shootout.. Better late then never

that’s it, our build went from 1.5 years to nearly 3 now 😡 but, we discovered a few things along the way to change/add which had we finished before we wouldn’t have known. can’t wait to see yours out there. what times are you hoping for? how heavy?

Fopar

popped in to GrooveRyder’s today to see James n check the car out, it’s looking pretty horn 😆

with this new intake pipe setup gives a car a much meaner and tuffer look than before 😈 the perfect match for the sexy new Precision Turbo’s!

looks a bit like an upside down Dodge symbol :lol

PRO428

Why doesnt the throttle body come straight out of the plenum? does it go under and fire straight up at the plenum roof?Its quite an interesting lookin swan!!
    from the other 281ci. racer in the club…RTCTTFMF’s

GRUBEE

Thats looking great mate. Looks very close to finished!!!!!

Fopar

@GRUBEE wrote:

Thats looking great mate. Looks very close to finished!!!!!

thanks mate, yeah i picked it up from GrooveRyders the other day, just got to finish off the electricals, some plumbing, few other little odd jobs, give her a quick lick of paint and she is good to go, fingers crossed if all goes to plan 4-6 weeks should be up for tuning.

@PRO428 wrote:

Why doesnt the throttle body come straight out of the plenum? does it go under and fire straight up at the plenum roof?Its quite an interesting lookin swan!!
    from the other 281ci. racer in the club…RTCTTFMF’s

great to see another 4.6 guy out there, what u got happening with your 4.6?

it’s how Accufab designed the intake manifold they found that was the best way, yeah it enters thru the bottom and goes underneath and shoots out up top at the back. the Accufab Mustang has the same intake manifold setup. Accufab has done alot of R&D on it, they are running 6.0@237mph with a little 281ci & twin 80mm turbo’s pumping 50psi so it definitely works 😆

to save a little on maintenance and running costs the car will be run on E98 ethanol, we will only be pumping 30psi max and work our way up to 35-38psi, not having an intercooler and ethanol not having the cooling effect that methanol does, we are going to slowly creep up on it and see how it goes. confident these new Precision turbo’s will produce produce some decent power.

Fopar

another step closer, all the wiring is done. just need to put on a few sensors and finish the panel/paintwork and it’s start-up time. little budget baby quad cam V8 coming out to play with the big boys in 10.5 very soon 😀

electrician ran a check on everything and is 100% communicating with ECU, very very happy 😉 just need to calibrate the Racepak dash with the Motec ECU

Fopar

a couple steps closer on the 10.5 car, thrown a new coat of paint on her (yet to do the bonnet and front clip) very happy with the end result, PPG looked after us and provided us with a satin black they made up from the PPG Defleet Evolution (commercial paint used on trucks, jet planes etc) unfortunately won’t make Sydney, car will be out before the end of the year testing for 2013.

Fopar

thought would do a little update on the car, we had the car all ready to fire it up. we started cranking it over on the starter (no plugs in) a few weeks ago, oil pressure came up straight away which was happy about, then a couple seconds later we see some coolant come shooting out of cylinder 7 spark plug hole and pooling up on the piston (i was asked if i wanted piston cooling not what i thought it meant 😆 ), was a little pinhole in the head, exhaust side between 7 & 8, fortunately, it happened now and not running down the track. so it’s put us a step back but once the heads all repaired will be ready to startup again.

lil video of it we made with a bit of fluorosene in there

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.